Data Privacy Statement
SRG SSR Swiss Broadcast Corporation
Last updated: 3 November 2020
The Swiss Broadcasting Corporation (SRG) takes the protection of your data seriously. We would like to make sure that you feel safe when using our SRG online platforms. In the following, we will explain which data we collect and how we use them.
Any personal data you supply to SRG when using our online platforms are processed in accordance with the Swiss Data Protection Act (DSG) and other legal provisions. The term online platforms refers to a broad variety of SRG offerings on the Internet.
To make this Data Privacy Statement easier to read, we have replaced the DSG terms controller of a data file and data processing by third parties with controller and processor. The Data Privacy Statement is thereby borrowing the terminology of the Council of Europe and the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (EU DS-GVO). You will find an overview of the most important terms of the DSG and their equivalents in the EU DS-GVO in our [glossary].
SRG Data Privacy Charter
SRG is committed to the following basic principles:
- Relevance: Knowing our audiences' expectations is pivotal to the continuous improvement of our program quality. This is why we process personal data.
- Transparency: Data privacy is a top priority to us. We therefore inform our users of the purpose of the data processing. Where necessary, we obtain the users' consent.
- Security: Data security is a top priority to us. We take all the necessary technical and organizational measures. Also, we do not sell any data.
- Freedom of choice: Users can use licence-fee-financed content and services without providing their personal details.
The responsible authority (controller) is SRG SSR Swiss Broadcasting Corporation, Giacomettistrasse 1, CH-3000 Bern 31.
SRG believes that it is important that its users know which of their personal details are processed, for what purpose, and when.
SRG reserves the right to change this Data Privacy Statement from time to time. We therefore recommend that you read this Data Privacy Statement regularly. You will see the date of the last update at the top of this Data Privacy Statement.
What are personal data?
Personal data are the details of an identified or identifiable natural person, e.g. name, address, telephone number, date of birth or e-mail address.
As a rule, you can use our online platforms without providing any personal data. To use certain online platforms you may be required to enter personal data, e.g. in order to subscribe to a newsletter, post a comment or enter a competition.
Personal data are therefore not generally processed, but only under certain circumstances and for specific purposes.
When are personal data processed for the SRG online platforms?
In order to provide the SRG online platforms, SRG or third parties process personal data in the context of:
- Websites: Personal data are processed via the [logfiles], [cookies], [analysis tools], [contact forms] and [plug-ins] of social media and other providers.
- User-generated content: Personal data are captured via forums, chats and blogs and processed in the form of [user-generated content].
- Newsletters: Personal data are processed on the basis of your consent when you subscribe to the [newsletter].
- Contact forms: Personal data are processed via [contact forms] when you submit suggestions and questions about our service.
- Competitions: Personal data are processed via [contact forms] when you take part in a competitions.
For what purposes are personal data processed?
- To make the online platforms available to users
- To optimize the online platforms (e.g.market research and audience measurement)
- To personalize the online platforms for their users
- To send out e-mail newsletters
- To run competitions
- To protect the data of the online platform users
Based on which legal foundations does SRG process personal data?
If we obtain your consent to process your personal data, this serves as the legal basis. This is the case with newsletters, comment posts or competitions, for example.
We also process your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest. This includes processing data for the purpose of providing and optimizing our online platforms.
When personal data are processed under a legal obligation, this obligation serves as the legal basis. This may be the case, for example, when personal data are passed on to a third party, and for reasons of obligatory storage duration or retention periods.
Disclosure of personal data to third parties
Do we pass personal data on to third parties?
We only disclose your personal data to third parties if you have given your consent or if there is a legitimate interest on our part.
Furthermore, we may transmit data to third parties if we are obliged to do so on the basis of legal provisions or an enforceable administrative or judicial order.
Are any third parties involved in the processing of data?
We use service providers for the data processing. Service providers are generally involved as contractors who are permitted to process users' personal data only in accordance with our instructions. For example, your e-mail address may be passed on to a service provider so that it can send you a newsletter that you subscribed to.
Do we pass on personal data to recipients in a third-party country (outside Switzerland/EU/EEA)?
We do pass on personal data to third parties or contractors who are not based in Switzerland nor a EU/EEA country. In this case, before passing on the data, we check that the recipient either has an appropriate level of data privacy (e.g. based on a suitability test for the respective country or by using the European Union's standard contract clauses or the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (EDÖB) standard contract) or that the user has given their consent.
Storage duration and retention periods
For how long does SRG store the personal data?
We store your data for as long as necessary to make our online platforms and the associated services available or for as long as we have a legitimate interest in storing them. In all cases, we delete your personal data except those that we need to continue to store in order to fulfil our legal obligations (e.g. retention periods).
What rights do you have?
- Right to information: Users have the right to demand from the controller confirmation of the personal data that are processed and whether they are transmitted to a third-party country.
- Right to correction: Users have the right to demand that the controller correct any incorrect or incomplete personal data that pertain to them.
- Right to deletion: Users have the right to demand that the controller immediately delete any personal data pertaining to them if they are no longer required for the purposes for which they were captured or processed and no other legal provisions are opposed to their deletion.
- Right to limited processing: Users have the right to demand that the controller limits the processing of their data.
- Right to revoke consent: Users have the right to revoke their consent to the processing of their respective personal data for one or more specific purposes at any time, if the processing is based on their express consent. When you revoke your consent, the legality of the processing that was done until then is not affected as this was based on the consent you had given before revoking it.
- Right to object: Users have the right to object to the processing of their respective personal data at any time, if the processing is done on the basis of the legitimate interest of the controller or a third party for the purpose of direct marketing, for example.
How can you exercise your rights?
To exercise your rights, please contact: dataprotection(at)srgssr.ch.
Data privacy contact
Our SRG data privacy consultants will gladly assist you if you require information or wish to make a suggestion on the subject of data privacy. Please e-mail us at dataprotection(at)srgssr.ch.
You can contact us as follows:
SRG SSR Swiss Broadcasting Corporation
CH-3000 Bern 31
Rights to content
SRG property: The content of SRG’s Internet platforms and online offering are subject to copyright. This content, specifically including videos, texts, excerpts from texts, interactive applications and image material may not be changed, transmitted, disseminated, stored, copied, re-edited or published in any way, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of SRG. The material provided may be used for private, non-commercial purposes only. Specifically, videos may not be sold or otherwise used for advertising purposes. The SRG Video Player (i.e. all Play [on-demand] content from SRG and/or its enterprise units RSI, RTR, RTS, SRF) may only be embedded in environments that are free of advertising. The SRG Video Player must not be altered in any way. Embedding the SRG Player in any context that infringes statutory provisions or that infringes common decency, and in particular in any context that is libellous, slanderous, racist, defamatory or pornographic, or that glorifies violence or represents a danger to young people is not permitted.
Usage rights to SRG content: For any software, folders, data and content of the SRG online offerings that are expressly made available for download, SRG grants to the user a simple, non-exclusive and non-transferrable licence that is limited to a one-off download and storage of the data. All other rights remain with SRG. In particular, the content may not be sold or used for any commercial purpose.
Uploading data (videos, audio, text, images): If the user uploads content as part of the interactive offer, SRG will be granted a right of use in respect of this content. This right will be unrestricted in terms of time, location and substance. The content may also be embedded or played as a link on a third-party page or be uploaded to a third-party website (particularly Facebook) for playback. These usage rights will be provided free of charge. The rights exercised by the collection company SUISA for content that is detected by the software control system and is broadcast in SRG programs are reserved. Even if the content is not published, the user is in agreement with such publication.
The user guarantees that he or she is fully entitled to upload the content. In this regard, the user releases SRG from any recourse to the law, litigation, claim for damages or other claims and demands that a third party could initiate and assert with regard to the upload of their video, audio or images.
The user releases SRG from any claims that a third party could assert on the use of user-generated content. All costs, especially those based on legal claims for damages made against SRG, shall be borne by the user.
SRG is not liable - as far as the law permits - for data or information that is distributed on the SRG Internet platforms, nor for any damages that may arise on their basis. This applies to all types of claims, in particular claims as a result of an error, delay, interrupted transmission, infrastructure failure, incorrect content, loss or deletion of data, viruses or in any other way when using the SRG Internet platforms.
The SRG website may contain links to third-party websites for information purposes. In this case, SRG takes no responsibility for the content, correctness, legality or functionality of the third-party websites to which links or tools on the SRG Internet platforms refer. Users visit websites via links at their own risk.
SRG does not warrant that it will provide uninterrupted access to its Internet platforms and/or online offer, or that such access will be free of disruption. Specifically, it does not provide any warranty in the event of failure of communication networks and gateways. With regard to accessibility and the extent of functionality, SRG is free to determine the time period during which the web pages and content will be unavailable for technical reasons, with a view to improving the services provided, or in order to optimise their ease of use. SRG does not warrant that its Internet platforms, apps, and other applications will be free of disruption and will work faultlessly at all times, or that any faults will be rectified.