SRG SSR is a private association run in accordance with the principles of company law which operates a media company. We fulfil a public mission on the basis of the constitution, law and charter. To do this, we receive money from radio and TV licence fees.
The Swiss Radio and Television Act (RTVG) and – in even greater detail – the relevant regulation as well as the charter of the Federal Council are our guides in our work and determine our tasks.
- content about particular aspects of the programme (freedom of opinion, cohesion between regions, Swiss culture, education, integration and entertainment),
- similar extensive content in the three largest language regions and adapted content for Romansch Switzerland, online content for the Swiss abroad,
- distribution through different channels (e.g. UKW, DAB+),
- online content in accordance with guidelines (e.g. restrictions on text contributions without reference to radio or TV programmes),
- organisational structure in accordance with guidelines (e.g. structure of the Board of Directors) cooperation with certain departments (film, music, archive etc.).
We also distinguish ourselves from commercial providers with the specific qualitative and ethical requirements of our programmes.
In essence, the government specifies activities, organisation and financing and the Federal Office of Communications oversees our work. Within this scope, we are independent. The Swiss Federal Constitution guarantees our independence and prevents anybody from interfering in our editorial work.
The charter defines the mission that our journalistic and editorial services have to fulfil.
- It sets out principles and basic values (public service obligations, acceptance, quality, dialogue with the public).
- It defines crossover tasks in the areas of innovation, cultural exchange, offers for young target groups, people from migrant backgrounds and people with sensory disabilities.
- It specifies the editorial content offered in the areas of information, culture, education, entertainment and sport.
- It sets targets for the production and distribution of its programmes on radio, television and the internet, as well as for online content. In addition, it lays down guidelines on the organisation, on cooperation with other media, broadcasters and sectors, as well as on SRG’s reporting obligations.
SRG’s radio broadcast output:
- Three stations each for the German, French and Italian language regions
Radio SRF 1, Radio SRF 2, Radio SRF 3, La Première, Espace 2, Couleurs 3, Rete Uno, Rete Due, Rete Tre
- One Rhaeto-Romansh station
- One younger listener station for German-speaking Switzerland
SRF Radio Virus
- One German-speaking information station
SRF 4 News
- One station each for the German and French language regions, which gives a broad platform for folk music culture Radio
SRF Musikwelle, Option Musique
- One music station each for classical, jazz and pop for all language regions, with Swiss artists accounting for a share of at least 50 percent
Radio Swiss Pop, Radio Swiss Classic, Radio Swiss Jazz
SRG’s television broadcast output:
- Two channels each for the German, French and Italian language regions in HD quality
SRF 1, SRF 2, RTS 1, RTS 2, RSI LA 1, RSI LA 2
- Programmes in Rhaeto-Romansh
on SRF 1, SRF Info, RTS 1, RSI LA 1, RSI LA 2
- One German-language repeat programme
- Online television in all language regions, with continuously updated information and programme information without advertising and without sponsorship
SRF Play, RTS Play, RSI Play, RTR Play, SWI Play
Other editorial services
Our other editorial services include:
- Online services focusing on audio and audiovisual content
such as srf.ch, rts.ch, rsi.ch, rtr.ch, swi.ch, nouvo.ch, apps and social media
Teletext offers multi-language short information items on the SRF, RTS and RSI stations. It is available on TV, online and via an app.
- HbbTV (Hybrid broadcast broadband TV)
HbbTV or Smart TV is technology that links digital television to the Internet. Like Teletext, the TV station offers additional information via HbbTV. In addition, HbbTV provides access to programmes which have already been broadcast, live streams and all SRG radio stations, and contains extended services for people with sensory disabilities, such as configurable subtitles.
- A publishing service for outside Switzerland
The editorial service includes: swissinfo.ch – the SRG online platform for the Swiss ex-pat community, French-language programmes on TV5Monde, German-language programmes on 3Sat, as well as Italian-language features on the online platform tvsvizzera.it.
The principles for online services include the following:
- Focus is on audio and audiovisual content.
- Pure text contributions without any relevance to the programme in the News, Sport and Regional/Local strands are limited to a maximum of 1000 characters per item.
- The timing and themes of games may only be linked to a programme.